The Book Jumper

The Book Jumper
By Mechthild Gläser
 
I opened the book and laid it across my face, the paper slid smoothly over my cheeks and along the bridge of my nose until it covered my eyes. The letters were far too close up to read. They swam before my eyes, melting into an inky whirlpool. They swirled around each other; they changed shape. Words flexed and twisted apart to form bushes and foliage. And then they came pattering down like raindrops: a shower of words raining down on me.
 
   So I finished another book! This reading speed…is really terrifying me. Should I kept reading so fast? But…if I don’t, how am I going to manage my TBR list? But…I want to write so much! I haven’t return to write my book yet!!!! Now…I know, you’re here to read The Book Jumper’s review. To be honest, I’ve a really really high expectation for this book. I think jumping into books is a rather genius idea, especially having adventures with the book characters. And yet…after reading this book…I’m confused.
 
Amy Lennox doesn't know quite what to expect when she and her mother pick up and leave Germany for Scotland, heading to her mother's childhood home of Lennox House on the island of Stormsay.
Amy's grandmother, Lady Mairead, insists that Amy must read while she resides at Lennox House—but not in the usual way. Amy learns that she is a book jumper, able to leap into a story and interact with the world inside. As thrilling as Amy's new power is, it also brings danger: someone is stealing from the books she visits, and that person may be after her life. Teaming up with fellow book jumper Will, Amy vows to get to the bottom of the thefts—at whatever the cost.
 
    I don’t really think the problems of this book is because of the translation…it’s not bad…but somehow… I do believe that every reader has a dream of jumping into the fictional worlds, and I love the concept of this book. I love Amy, being a bully student; find her escape through words and pages. I love Will, how after his best friend’s death, after all those chaos he had been through, he still fought beside Amy to save all the books. And…exceptional love for all those characters we love that appeared. I wonder…will I be able to jump into books and see through Amy and Will’s story?
 But the reason why I gave it a remarkable low stars…in comparison to other YA books I’ve read before…I’m not satisfied with the ending. You might as well be guessing what I’m about to say next…yes, it’s too predictable.
 The Book Jumper is a nice little read, fast pace, not very interesting, but the plots are will organized. However, from the moment when Amy found out the truth about the thief…and everything else…I’ve already known what will happen. And the ending? Not so good. It’s happy, for you might be questioning…but lack of the tension. It seems…without all those adventures of finding the basic ideas of the books…the rest of it is like a fairytale repeating. (I know what you are thinking…it’s a fairytale based! So it should have been like a fairytale! But that is not an excuse! Except from some little details I’m astonished…I’m pretty disappointed with what should have been the climax.)

    Nevertheless, the progress of the novel is going really well…it isn’t a bad read. Just…unfortunately, after so much expectation, the ending disappointed me. I love the twists in Will, but I hate the truth reveal about Betsy and Lady Mairead. I love the birthright of Amy…but I dislike the romance between Will and Amy. Why did I hate the ship? All those love interest seems to come out of nowhere! It’s like all of a sudden, smash! And Will is in love with Amy with Amy in love with Will. Where is all those mistrust from Amy when she first left German? Where is all those discomfort of facing a new friendship or relationship? I’m so anticipated to read through Amy’s inner struggle and rejection…but it all disappeared when a kiss happen. Then how on earth could Amy blame her mother? Oh…but I really love how the author manage Will’s POV…which I also fail to mentioned that in Traitor to the Throne. In both of the book, when the POV isn’t the protagonist anymore…the other POV is written in a third-person narrative way. You know it’s from a certain person’s POV, but you can see the difference between the original and the others. And I especially love this kind of writing.

    So? Should you read this book? I’ll say that depend on whether you like plot twists so much. If you love it so much and you can’t survive without it? Than skip this book to the others…but if you enjoy an easy little read with all those loving fictional characters we’ve read before? Than go ahead!

Get free worldwide delivery from Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement