The Wrath and The Dawn (The Wrath and The Dawn Series 1)

The Wrath and The Dawn
By Renee Ahdieh

One Life to One Dawn.
  I can’t breathe. Where is my air!!!! I need to breathe!!! So many feelings!!! Please!!! Can anyone return my heart? To tell you the truth, I hadn’t planned to finish it within one day at all, not at all. Please? Can I just spend some of my time with my literature homework? Yet…sorry guys…my time devoted to the great Caliph and Calipha. 
 Why did it take me so long to read this book? Despite the fact that I was waiting for the proper moment to buy the hard cover edition??? I love retelling, and this is one of the best of them all!!!!! You love A Court of Mist and Fury or Cruel Beauty? You’re definitely goanna love this!!!!! It’s perfect. Beyond words. 
 I originally planned to type this review tomorrow…but as soon as I swallow the book…everything changed. I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW!!! I NEED TO DO THIS, RIGHT NOW!!!!!

  In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.



  Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

  As you know, I’ve always loved fairytale retelling, all kind of retellings. If you are a retelling, than congratulation, you’re on my TBR list. So, without any doubt, as soon as I saw The Wrath and The Dawn, I put it on my book haul list. ESPECIALLY IT’S AN ONE THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHT RETELLING!!!! I LOVE ONE THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHT!!!! (Or you might call it Arabian Night, nevertheless…IT’S PERFECT.) I’d always love this story when I was a child, it never seized to amaze me, especially Arabia is a place full of mystery and adventure, and…genies!!!! Sorry guys…from now on, all those Aladdin and One Thousand and One Night retelling has officially been moved to the top of my TBR list. (While…perhaps after my enormous October Book Haul.) Still…I do have some, a little bit to complain about this book. It’s fast pace, perfect. The plot twists, excellent, but please returns my heart. However, it’s a bit hard to get into the story at the beginning.  
 Especially when it has so many people’s names and different kinds of words for those queens and kings and clothes. I think…it took me about five chapters to really understand this book? And then, I honestly tell…the beginning…I really thought it’ll be like One Thousand and One Night. I was like…really? Don’t give me a change of name and then called it a retelling. I’d hate that. BUT!!!!! HERE COMES THE BIG BUT!!!!! Everything becomes so intense and exciting and interesting when Shahrzad was about to be executed. 
 As you might guess my habit of reading, after a few more chapters, I spoil myself with a brief ending and middle…and there is no turning back. Right here, right now, ends the complaint. As for the rest? Perfection. (I think I keep using this word…)  

  You are a fearsome thing to behold in your own right.

  I LOVE Shahrzad, I love her from the first moment I met her. I think I’m incapable of resisting fearsome “female” characters. (Like myself? I always hate those girls who need to be “cute” and “tame” to get a boy.) Shahrzad really reminds me a lot of Nox from Cruel Beauty. They all served an intention when they married, the difference is, one volunteer, the other arranged. Our beloved Shahrzad, bravely volunteer for the marriage, as the original story goes. But, oh my, how much I love a smart girl. Shahrzad doesn’t need to be great at sword fighting or be a warrior to defeat all the enemies, she only needs her tongue. Is she a badass? She is. But does she need to be like Celaena or Feyre from Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses? Nope. (Although she did use bow and arrows wonderfully…at least for now, she didn’t need those skill “that much.”)

  What else about her so special? I love her and her behavior that changed a monstrous king. Shahrzad and Khalid? They’re unmistakably perfect for each other. It might not seem at first, but…I have a new fictional boyfriend. Khalid!!!! He’s my new Rhysand!!!!! (God knows how much I need to escape from Rhysand’s power…not that I intended to escape at all.)
  My soul sees it’s equal in you.


  A lot of people keep asking me why I have such a high expectation for my “future” boyfriend…please, after reading so many great books, how can I possibly choose someone who is too normal? Tell me “I love you?” Oh please, give me something new.  Otherwise, how are you going to compete with Rhysand, Khalid, Valten, Chaol…and so on? Khalid, yes, is the monstrous king. His situation is exactly like Ignifex in Cruel Beauty. (Why can’t I stop comparing them? Yet…they’re so similar in so many ways!!! Still…I love them both.) He had his dark past, and forced him to do terrible things. At the end, you’re going to see the boy-king behind his mask. AND I LOVE THIS KIND OF PLOT, EXTREMELY. I just can’t help myself. Please…release me from the burden!!!!!


He looks menacing and unapproachable—a thousand years, a thousand lives, a thousand tales away. How can you not love him? Sorry, I just have a extremely crush on dangerous guy, note it, not “bad,” but “mysterious” and “dangerous.”
  By the way, The Wrath and The Dawn gave us heart swooning quotes…I love them all. I’d never noted so much down while reading. Like it took a long, long list, and I plan to write them all on my note book. It’s The Wrath and The Dawn month!!!!

  Did I ever tell you that, to this day, I still fight the urge to chase falling stars?

  Not that I had totally no resistance toward any quote about stars…but after you read this book, you just can’t help but wrote down those beautiful quotes. Besides, those quotes brought out lots of interesting characters. And…since it’s time for bed, I’m not going to list them all. (It’s currently 1:30 a.m., and I’m supposed to be in bed.) But I assure you, if you love retelling, this is a book you can’t miss at all. Read it now, I begged you, cause I’ve long waited for something to seize my heart at the first book of the series, and The Wrath and The Dawn has succeed.  

Get free worldwide delivery from Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement