Flame in the Mist

Flame in the Mist
By Renee Ahdieh
The stars could fall - the moon could crash from the heavens - and Mariko could not care.
    God bless my little, tiny heart…I’m completely on fire. I can feel my blood burning while reading the book. And even though I read the first half of it about a half month ago and finished it just now…I can still feel the flame burning right through me. I need the Smoke in the Sun now!!!!!!!!!
Oh god…I hereby declare…Renee Ahdieh now ranks even higher than Sarah J Maas. Her books are must-read!!!!!! I command you, yes you, you, and you. Read her series right now!!!!!!! Why does she always write duology???? I need more of her books!!!!!! The Wrath and The Dawn is absolutely one of my favorite retelling of all time…and now? Flame in the Mist is as great as TWATD series!!!!!

  The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.

  So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.
  The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she’s appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she’s ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires.

Be as swift as the wind. As silent as the forest. As fierce as the fire. As unshakable as the mountain. And you can do anything.
    I hate behaving like an idiot…but you know what??? I behave like an idiot whenever I read Renee’s books!!!! Damn!!!! How can the book be so affective to me???
 I love how Renee creates strong female characters and still balance the striving plot with great great great romance. Oh gosh…I’m not swooning. I’m not smiling like an idiot…SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!

There is such strength in being a woman. But it is a strength you must choose for yourself. No one can choose it for you. We can bend the wind to our ear if we would only try.
    As a female author, Renee Ahdieh really creates great model over the protagonists inside her books. I won’t say they’re flawless or perfect in every way (But they’re all incredibly awesome.)
 As you might know, I’m a crazy fan of Shahrzad in TWATD (I need to reread that book…) She is smart, brave, and a great feminist. (I know recently…at least I know, a lot of people are complaining about feminist…but I promise, Shahrzad is really a great one.) I love her in everywhere. However, or reckless Mariko…I must say she’s slightly a bit reckless than Shahrzad. But I love the fire in her blood, her curiousness, her smartness, her bravery. Although she might be a little bit of hatred to the world…at least from where I see, she still has possess great spirit and being so positive for most of the time.
She’d fought off her assailant. And in doing so, she’d displayed one of the seven virtues of bushidō: Courage. The way of the warrior.
She isn’t the smartest character I’ve ever seen…and sometime, she so naïve that I want to punch her into her face…but, I love her. It’s her spirit that stand her out. As every female characters in Renee Ahdieh’s books. They can be girly, strong, courageous, boyish…and in different forms. But they all got one thing in common—their unbreakable spirit.
 In certain twist, their actions will make you…make your heart hits your chests so heart that you might faint in worry, excitement, and so on. If I must choose a character that will never bored me? Find in Renee’s books.

You are first and foremost a person. A reckless, foolish person, but a person nonetheless. If I ever say you are not permitted to do something, rest assured that the last reason I would ever say so would be because you are a girl.
    As for the male characters…oh my gosh.
 my poor little heart…how much torture must you suffer??? Okami…a complicated character. Wait…I think most male characters are complicated?
 
 Never mind…but although I didn’t swoon that much on Okami as I did when I read Khalid…(He is still my beloved, don’t fight with me. He is mine!!!!) He is still a remarkable character…although I expected to see more of him in the next book. Instead of being…mysterious, saying those…you know…stuff.

Beautiful words were beautiful words, even to the most practical of minds.

I must say…instead of Okami, I’m really anticipated to see what will happen to Kenshin. As Mariko’s brother, he doesn’t get the chance to see through his father’s perfect illusion, yet when things are about to turn, he was driven by hatred. It’s sort of like a comparison with Mariko…one escape, one remain prison. I’m really looking forward to it. And besides, I must say I’m also excited to see what will turn out between Raiden, Mariko and Khalid. Since…apparently, there is a bigger plot behind everything!!!! And I love it!!!! So…although I’m slightly disappointed with Okami…(I still love him, don’t get me wrong.) I’m really glad to see an entire different setting from other YA book. Oh right, I didn’t say, Flame in the Mist is probably set in the Japanese culture. (Wait…why aren’t there any Chinese fantasy???) As an Asian…with all due respect…I’m not that kind of fond of Japanese culture in some way…just in some way. But Renee really change my thought on it. Although…I’m not sure whether this is a western idea or not…since to me, Japanese culture isn’t the most female respected culture of all. (But at least here in Flame in the Mist…the setting isn’t bad. On the contrary, I long to read more.)



I’ve never been angry to have been born a woman. There have been times I’ve been angry at how the world treats us, but I see being a woman as a challenge I must fight. Like being born under a stormy sky. Some people are lucky enough to be born on a bright summer’s day. Maybe we were born under clouds. No wind. No rain. Just a mountain of clouds we must climb each morning so that we may see the sun.

    Now…like I’ve always said…go and read the book!!!!!!! Renee Ahdieh is one of the authors that you can’t miss!!!!!! Whether you like it or not, give it a try, Flame in the Mist will give you a different kind of views among the YA industry. Try it, read it, and most important of all, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! And ONE LAST THING…OKAMI IS MINE!!!!!!! MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Get free worldwide delivery from Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement