A Court of Thorns and Roses Review (A Court of Thorns and Roses 1)




The Court of Thorns and Roses
By Sarah J. Maas 
She stole a life. Now she must pay with her heart.
  So...where to begin? Let's start from the first page...hmm...not bad, but nothing special, since it was just the beginning. (Apparently...) The second...while...getting better, with more information and plot. The third page...it was a disaster!!! Nothing special at all!!! (Cough...you know...you finished it within few hours later...) Just kidding! I was dragged into the story!!!! Let's how good this book is, just three pages, then I can't pull myself out. Sarah J. Maas should write more fairytale retelling!!! It's perfect!!! Ahhh!!!

  When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin--one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
  As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin--and his world--forever.
  What? You say fairytale retelling? Does Sarah J Maas write fairytale retelling? Yes she did! That's what this book is like. I admit that I have a soft spot on fairytale retelling, but this book is extraordinary! Unlike some other fairytale retelling which are meant for children, The Court of Thorns and Roses is meant for young adult!!! Exciting, romantic, mysterious, sexy...all the compliment that you can imagine. I love this book even more than Throne of Glass! While...I started to read TOG series this year...and although I found it a great book, I didn't actually fell in love with it until The Crown of Midnight. (By the way...I'll put my Thorne of Glass series review after I finish the terrible collage exam.) And the main reason I love it was because of Chaoleana...and since the Heir of Fire ruined all of that...it disappointed me A LOT. (Sigh~) Back to ACOTAR, well...needless to say, Sarah is really good at creating god damn sexy characters. (Swoon...) From TOG Dorian and Chaol, now Tamlin, Lucien, and Rhysand~ (Blooming~) And like TOG, we got another extremely strong female--Feyre!!! The story is a mix of Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun, West of the Moon. To me, I'll consider it more of East of the Sun, West of the moon, they both got mysterious land, troll was exchanged to Fae, polar bear to beast, and the last one--madly in love villain. I saw some reviews complain that Tamlin wasn't a beast at all! But if you're familiar with East of the Sun, West of the Moon, you'll understand why. Inside the folk tale, the polar bear transformed into a man at night, so...to me, it's completely fine that Tamlin wasn't a beast all the time. (I believe that the summary should be blamed for that, since East of the Sun, West of the Moon contain more in this book, not Beauty and the Beast. But the later one is better-known...so...as you can see, most people keep the "Beast" in mind, and couldn't agree that he exchanged to a Fae.) While I read ACOTAR, it reminds me a lot of Sun & Mon, Ice & Snow, since they are both retell from the same fairytale, but in ACOTAR, more action, more exciting, and with...hmm...sex. (Haha, I shouldn't compare them...apparently Sun & Moon, Ice & Snow is a children book..but I can't help but recall the scene when reading ACOTAR.) 
  While now I finish the "fairytale" part, let's talk about the characters! First, Feyre the huntress. She took the burden of feeding her family, fulfilling her promise to her mother. During the hunt, she killed a wolf which was actually a Fae...and...the beast came! Bomb!(You know, Vivian...you are a bit too dramatic now...) In order to save her family...or her own life, she left with the hideous beast to the Fae land, where legends told to be horrible and dangerous. So...Feyre, a strong female character. I'm going to compare her to Celeana from TOG. They are both fearsome, brave, although I think Celeana will be more profession at...killing, since she was an assassin. But Feyre, she manger to survive on her own, just like Celeana. Personally, I like Feyre more than Celeana, even though Celeana loved to read, which I think it's a perfect character. But while the TOG series go on and on and on~ Celeana's character had change, so in comparison to Feyre, now she is my favorite female character in all of Sarah J. Maas' books. Although she was cold at heart, she still act like human...not that Celeana wasn't, just...she had changed a lot. Through the entire book, we can see the personality of Feyre, and gradually fallen in love with her. My best hope is that she won't change herself in A Court of Mist and Fury... (What is that? That is the second book of ACOTAR!!! Ahhhhh!!!! I'm soooo exciting!!!) (Keep my hand cross for the same old Feyre...even...shh! You're going to spoil the plot!) 
Next...Tamlin!!! Another hot guy in Sarah's book!!! Well...this book narrate by Feyre, but we can still see how hot he was!!! He's like a mix of Dorian and Chaol... (No wonder Sarah said that Tamlin and Chaol will be best friend~both of them so great!)  Lucien! Tamlin's...hmm...friend and courtier. He was terrible rude to Feyre at first...since she was the murderer of his friend. (I strongly suspect that even Tamlin wanted to hate her for that...yet as it turns out...they really fell in love.) Lucien had a dark past... (It seems that ever son of High Lord had one~ maybe we can read Rhysand's in the second book?) According to Sarah J. Maas, we can see more Lucien's part in ACOMAF. (Maybe a new love interest?!) Well...back to the "rude" part, Lucien and Feyre manage to find a way to deal with each other, and during Feyre's "Bargain" they truly became friend. So...perhaps we can know him more in the future.
Last one! Another hot guy! (Swoon~) Rhysand! (Or Rhys) Without doubt, he is the most interesting character of all hot guys~ And...As it turns out, he had almost as much part as Tamlin. Quite interesting, huh? He was such an unpleasant character when he first appeared~ But as the story went on, Rhys revealed more and that his behavior wasn't as we thought all the time. I must admit that he's almost as attractive to me as Chaol!!! I'm so looking forward for more part of Rhysand in A Court of Mist and Fury!!! (Although I believe A Court of Star and Shadow will also be a suitable name for the night court, since I guest there will be more night court than spring court in the following series. But...Mist and Fury? Perhaps something to do with the Night Court as well! Just wait till May 2016...so long...) 
As for the plot...well...just imagine the folk tale East of the sun, West of the moon meet Throne of Glass. The lovely part of the fairy tale but combine with the dark mystery of Throne of Glass series. Well...more will be spoiler, so...look for yourselves!
  Last...as I mentioned before, Sarah J. Maas isn't a typical author...so NEVER guess what will happen next...or you'll be driven insane...just like me... Now…I’m about to madness for guessing what will happen next on A Court of Mist and Fury (just like when I read the Crown of Midnight beforesigh~) (Keep my hand crossing that Tamlin and Feyre will stay together and Rhysand will find his lovejust that it not be Feyre!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement