Phantom of the Opera/Love Never Dies



Phantom of the Opera 
By Andrew Lloyd Webbe
  Warning! What I'm going to write about isn't book! This is a musical and movie review! Not a book review! (I can hardly finish that book though)
  I know, it was a long time ago since the Phantom of the Opera was released, and it'll continue to go on and on and on and... So I'm not going to talk about the story but the difference between movie, broadway musical, and the 25th anniversary performance at the Royal Abert Hall. The first time I fall in love with this master piece is elementary school, our teacher asked us to watch this remarkable musical movie. After that, when the Phantom of the Opera performed in Taiwan, I begged my mom to take me to Taipei to watch it. Recently, I found myself missing the stage performance of Phantom, so I found the 25th anniversary performance. (Actually, it's rather a accident to find that, but I love it either way.) I owned the original broadway cast album and I'll also take about that. So first between the movie and the broadway version. Movie was started by Emmy Rossum. To me, unlike other musicals are always singing... (I love the songs but who sings every time when they're talking or arguing? That's so strange!) Phantom of the Opera movie adapt some of the scenes to talking rather than singing (Only a little...). But few parts are deleted from the movie as well. (Ex: Note/Twisted Every Where) I really love the scene of Point of No Return, the movie make it so beautiful and dangerous. Compared to broadway musical...we can enjoy a lot of version from that, and since I mostly forget what I saw from the performance in Taiwan, I'll judge by the CD. Sarah Brightman's Christen is my favorite, she sings more powerful than Emmy Rossum, but there are still balances in her singing (since the musical was made based on her...). And Phantom is performed by Gerard Butler, I think his version of Phantom is more "Rock" than the usual singer. So I also prefer the broadway musical cast of Phantom. I remember when Gerard Butler sang "Point of No Return", I was thinking "he sang this song so hoarsely...and I must admit...his is a great actor, but I don't like his voice, not magical enough for Phantom. (He's the angel of music! His voice should be attractive, amazing, and...yeah, you know what I mean.
  Moved to the 25th anniversary performance, guys, I love Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo! They play the musical so well! Sierra Boggess is the best Christen so far, said by Andrew Lloyd Webbe many times (She just stop playing Christen this year...so sad) , and Ramin is the nominated by the Tony Award! They were asked to sing in 25th by Andrew Lloyd Webbe. But the entire musical make me so confuse! It seems to me that they're so angry all the time. I can hardly tell there are any "love" between Phantom, Christen, and Raoul. And another thing is thatBut this is the first time that I know that the technology was improving along with the performance. Some of the scene was played on the screen when Sierra Boggess was singing. So it's really cool to see that! Despite the angry part, the 25th anniversary play was truly a success, the costumes were great and the singers were excellent! (And I love the special surprise from Sarah Brightman!) So this is some of the point from me after watching this beautiful musical!
P.S. Sierra and Ramin performed on the 2015 Classic Brit Award, if you love them, you must watch the video immediately!
 
Love Never Dies

  Set 10 years later, the Phantom has escaped from Paris to New York where he lives amongst the joy rides and freak shows of Coney Island. He has finally found a place for his music to soar, all that is missing is his love Christine Daaé. In a bid to win back her love, the Phantom lures Christine, her husband Raoul, and their young son Gustave from Manhattan, to the glittering and glorious world of Coney Island... they have no idea what lies in store for them... 
  Actually, this is the main reason why I'm writing this review!!! The sequel of Phantom of the Opera!!! Although it has stopped performing in The West End and I don't know if they are still performing in Australia, but a huge announcement was made just few days ago! There are going to play again in Broadway in 2017!!! (I just hope I can watch with my own eyes...I must definitely get myself a exchange program in collage in 2017) I love this story, the songs and the costumes are as great as the first one. But, the plot is...awful!!! Although some of you might love the haunting story but it's too twisted! I couldn't finish it at the first time! I watch the whole musical in the Australia version and like "what the hell is happening?!" In this story, Christen and Raoul has marriages problems. I believe it was mainly because Raoul' gambling debts, but there's more than that. Their problems had begun before they are married. (Seriously, don't marry if you're in love with someone else!...I believe you know what I mean "in love with someone else"...). As it turns out, Christen loves Phantom all those time...and her child has a huge secret. I don't mind people who fall in love with each other, just they're too weird to be together! Does anyone remember Phantom is a lot older than Christen? (Hello! That's disgusting!). In the Phantom of the Opera, madam Giry found Phantom when they were both a child, so that means Phantom might just be almost as old as her! And Christen and Meg are almost the same age...so Christen was actually in love with someone old enough to be her father! I understand that Raoul turns out to be not as charming as he is, but the love triangle was too horrible! Enough talking about the story, as for the casts of LND, I love how Sierra and Ramin expressed themselves in the performance, they are the original casts. (Although I ship neither Phantom and Christen nor Raoul and Christen, but the singing is wonderful! It seem so beautiful~ so strange yet beautiful~ beautiful beautiful songs~) they're my favorite Christen and Phantom, just see how they interacted with each other! And the Till I Heard You Sing music video was...ahhh! I was in love too! As for the DVD version starring Anna O'Byrne and Ben Lewis, they're lovely too! Just again, angry angry angry... I understand anyone will be angry in those situations...but the songs just don't seem so good in all those angry tones. But the DVD's advantage is that the custom was so lovely! On the Love Never Dies scene, the blue gowns with feather just take my breath! It's so delicate and awesome!
For those wish to watch the performance, I warn you, thing don't appear as it seems and yeah we know, love never dies, but someone will. (Oh! There's no more killing in this musical, just a horrible accident happened.). Still, I recommend this twisted musical, just forget the haunting part of it...you'll love it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement